Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Phoenix Sunfish

Since this last April I've been a part of the gay and lesbian masters swim team, Phoenix Sunfish. At first I was just going to get in shape for my next trip to Hawaii, but it has become so much more than a workout.

When I finished swimming in high school I had a really bad taste in my mouth over all the drama and petty swimmers. There were few people on my team whom I could tolerate and even fewer I cared for. Being a gay-Mormon in denyal on a swim team of crude nearly naked athletes didn't sit very well (I know, mostly my fault). By the end of 1999 I didn't think I'd ever compete again.

For a month or so after I joined the Sunfish I still didn't intend to participate in meets, but all that has changed. Making friends with the people on the team has been a great experience so far. On top of being swimmers we are also a part of the same community.
This weekend will be my first swimming competition in 8 years. Crazy! I'm so nervous and excited! To ease my jitters I splerged and got a suite at the Holiday Inn near the pool. Meet results will be posted next week.

2 comments:

•♥•m•♥• said...

I am soooooo excited for U! & will keep my fingers crossed....what event are U going to be swimming? & what other swim clubs will be showing ???

Unknown said...

Well I'm actually going to do the "Brute" Events: 200Fly, 400IM, and 1500Free. Crazy I know, but it'll be a great workout! I won't know what other teams are showing until the day of. It's very likely that we'll be the only gay team there though.