Thursday, June 14, 2007

Fight for Freedom

I remember being taught in grade school that when our country won the Revolutionary War we won our freedom, but the issue is far more complicated than that.

We are still waging the war of freedom. No matter who or where we are, we all play a role in this epic conflict. The victory that the original American colonies won against the British was important terrain on the path of freedom, but it only makes up a portion of the journey.

As a gay person, I feel my rights and freedoms frequently under attack. There's gay marriage, and then there isn't; civil unions one day, annulment the next. Our nation has been teetering back and forth on this issue for years now.

When this issue is stripped down to its core, what I usually find is widely accepted inequality based on holy sanction. In other words, god sanctions straight people's feelings therefore mine are invalid.

I know that many people's god doesn't validate my feelings, but my heart doesn't seem to care. My heart breaks just as much as anyone's. Love affects me in the same way as well, with all the irrational silliness that's been in poetry, books, stories, plays and movies since before recorded history.

Just like the oppressive monarchy we strove so diligently to separate ourselves from, we feel comfortable with imposing inequality on others because god said so.

Why was the king, king? Because god put him there.

Why did we leave the king's rule? Because religious freedom is important to us.

Why do straight people get more rights than gay people? Because god said so.

Why should gay and straight be equal? Because religious freedom is important to us!

1 comment:

•♥•m•♥• said...

All sentient beings are equal ....from the ant to humans.... Buddha accepts all =)

***hence the reason I am Buddhist**

~MUAH~