Monday, February 13, 2006

Promises, promises

There is a serious pandemic in our society today; a widespread disinclination to uphold your end of an agreement.

Throughout my life, people have made me promise after promise without any intention of keeping them. I imagine that the average person has experienced the same phenomenon; promises are no longer a binding agreement, but a feeble attempt at politeness. "I'm sorry I broke that. I promise I'll get it fixed." :: translation:: "I'm being polite to you so I can take advantage of you in the future."

"Can I borrow some cash? I promise I'll pay you back." ::translation:: "You know you're too nice to say 'no,' I'll never be able to pay you back because I always spend too much money on things I don't need."

I personally have issues with making promises. You'd be hard pressed to find me uttering the phase, "I promise" ever. Unless I think it’s extremely important, and I know that I can fulfill my promise without fail, those words will not be used.

I've had friends, boyfriends, and family members all try to make me promise that I'll always be there. I'm sorry, but I simply can't promise that. I'll do my best, but I can't promise.

Some have tried to make me promise to attend events or activities, but I simply can't. The word promise means more to me than that. What if I get sick? What if I die? What if something comes up? I'm not going to make a "pie-crust promise; easily made, easily broken."

When I say the words, "I promise" I'm going to enlist the powers of heaven and earth to help me fulfill that promise. Nothing will stand in the way; nothing is of greater priority.

Why is the word, 'promise' thrown around like it is? I don't expect anything from anyone that I don't expect of myself. So when someone says, "I promise" I'm going to expect them to make it good. If they don't, they unfortunately receive a label from me; untrustworthy. And that is a label that no one ever escapes from.

1 comment:

e said...

I totally agree with you darling! People no longer appreciate the value of the word! Good for oyu for recognizing the difference!