Thursday, February 16, 2006

Never Forgive?

The other day I saw a bumper sticker that really struck me. No, it wasn't an anti gay marriage sticker or a pro bush sticker. The bumper sticker I saw had a picture of the twin towers with a short four word message all in caps, "NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE"

I personally believe that it is good to remember the innocent people that lost their lives to those terrorist attacks, but it was that part about forgiveness that really hit me.

To me, forgiveness doesn't mean that you forget; it means you set aside your anger.

What good does it do anyone to be angry? Especially bitterly angry? The person who is angry ends up punishing themselves much more than the person they are angry at. Anger takes a lot of energy... it is a consuming and negative emotion; worst of all it can cloud your judgment and make you irrational. You'll start to do things that are normally against your character; things you know are wrong. This is why anger is one of the seven deadly sins. Everyone feels angry from time to time, but it’s when you let it consume you that you're in real trouble.

When you're angry you might do something really unethical. For example, you might lie to your nation so that they will let you invade another nation so that you can get revenge and power over the people who allegedly wronged your people; I won't mention any names ... you know who you are.

When you're angry, you will likely look for an excuse, or rationalization for your anger and hatred. A common excuse is personal beliefs disguised as religion. Here is a good example, “These people's ancestors killed my savior; how could they do that? I hate them!" Rational thinking would immediately lead you to conclude: "That happened thousands of years ago, no one living today is responsible for that event."

Here is another good example, "The Bible says that how they feel is wrong. It says that god hates them, so I hate them!" Rational thinking would immediately remind you that the Bible also says that you should "love thy neighbor as thyself" and not, "love thy neighbor unless he doesn't believe everything that you believe."

When you let your anger take over, you won't end up at a rational conclusion, you'll long for revenge...a longing that will not end with revenge, but leave you thirsting for more and more, until you are just as bad or worst than the person(s) who allegedly wronged you.

Mahatma Gandhi once said, "The weak can never forgive; forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."

In short, NEVER FORGETTing the people who died is much more healthy than NEVER FORGIVing.

When we refuse to forgive, we burn the bridge that we must crossover ourselves.

2 comments:

e said...

I think that is a beautiful sentiment darling! I, too, have often wondered at the long standing grudges, based on old hurts and nurtured hatred. What do these things accomplish? Where do they take us? into arms races? into Nuclear war preparations? into murder and famine and desolation? As an individual,m I try very hard not to give in to hatred...I may dislike people, or actions, but I truly try not to hate! Kudos for the spotlight on a serious travesty in our country...those "bummer" stickers should be destroyed!

soiled_dove said...

I lived in NYC during the twin towers attacks. I know that people want to sympathize with what happened, but mostly it is an excuse to hate. Fear breeds hatered, bottom line. The only reason some douche bag in Arizona gives a SHIT about what happens in NYC is when it involves people being burnt in a building. I watched that shit go down from the roof of my apartment. I will admit that it scared the shit out of me, but my immediate after thought was that NO ONE should ever have to fear that the walls around them could, at any given moment, crash down and squish them. All that 9-11 should have showed anyone, was that killing is NOT the answer to all the bullshit on earth. I am not the one to say what the answer is, but it isn't destruction, cause that shit traumatized my ass!