Thursday, November 29, 2007

Emma Smith: My Story

Last night I took my swim buddy and fellow recovering Mormon to "Emma Smith: My Story"

Just so we're all on the same page, Emma Smith was married to Joseph Smith Jr., the original leader of the Mormon Church, when the church first started and was forced to move as far as Nauvoo, IL.

You're probably wondering why two ex-Mormons like us would go and see such a movie, and under most circumstances I'd pass up this movie and not give it a second thought. First of all, it was free, a free preview to a work-in-progress film. Also, I'd be given a chance to critique a Mormon-made film, which is an opportunity I felt I couldn't pass up :)

My friend Taylor finds religion very fascinating despite his rather bitter past and since I was allowed one guest, I knew I had to invite him.

The movie was definitely Mormon-centric. A more appropriate title to this flick would be, "Joseph Smith through the eyes of Emma" Some parts made me uncomfortable with their overly religious content and bias.

All in all, I'd have to say I didn't like the film; too slow and religious for my taste. The movie only lasted about 1:45 min, but it felt more like 3+ hours to me.

No comments: