Saturday, December 01, 2007

Dr. Not-As-Advertised

I have this friend at work that doesn't really work with me, but comes by to say "Hi" sometimes. He's a part of the extended groups of friends that I usually meet through my coworkers.

A while back he asked me if I'd be interested in meeting one of his friends for a date sometime. Immediately I ask, "Well tell me about him, what's he like?"

The picture he painted for me was quite pretty, "Well, he's a doctor and I think about 35"
"No problems there," I reply approvingly.
"...and he's a big body builder type, do you get into that?" my friend asks with sincere doubt.
"I could definitely get into that!" I answer holding back the laughter.

So a couple of weeks later the ball starts rolling...I send my friend a picture of me and he sends it to my date. He likes, check.

Then my friend shoots me an IM, "Man, I really f-ed up...turns out he's actually 45...but he totally looks 35!"

I give the green light, but doubt begins to build.

There's an abnormal delay in getting a reciprocating picture, but I already have such a pretty picture in my head that I proceed; I make all the arrangements, when, where.

I get an email from my work friend, "Here's the picture I kept forgetting to send..."

I download it from my BlackBerry and open it. Stunned, I stood fixated on the small digital pixels for at least a minute.

"Who is this? There must be some mistake. Not only is this man old enough to be my father (45), he looks older than my father (50)."

I studied the picture more, the man was completely bald and slightly chunky looking.

"Body builder? I'm sorry, but no one could stretch it that far."

All the arrangements are made though...it's just not in me to back out. So I go through with it. Many of my friends find my predicament amusing.

The date went exactly as I expected and hoped it would...there was nothing and we ended our evening with a quick hug.


Life goes on as normal now, with one small change. My work friend now has the word "CLUELESS" imagined to be stenciled across his forehead.

3 comments:

jim said...

Ahem. 50? Old?

*cries*

Unknown said...

I didn't say 50 was old. But it is jaring when someone is supposed to look 35, but they actually look 55.

jim said...

Yeah... I understand you... LOL, I've never had much affinity for people who look or act 55, myself. But I have to say, the old guy was lucky, dating you even once. :)