Friday, November 02, 2007

"For the Bible Tells Me So"

I heard about this movie a while back, but thought it would never make its way to Phoenix. Fortunately the small theater on Mill Avenue near ASU showed it last weekend.

A group of friends and I saw it together and I must say I was impressed. This movie basically outlined how many people have used the Bible to stigmatize and justify their hatred toward particular groups of people; historically, African Americans, women and more recently, gay people. It was a very emotional at times, some people seeing the light from the beginning, others only a portion of the light, and some seeing it a little too late.

I knew I was in for a treat when there were protesters outside; oblivious to the fact they were proving the point of the movie.

1 comment:

jim said...

And who can forget another favorite, "Jesus Camp" watching the children being indoctrinated while at camp in North Dakota. My favorite scene is the children worshipping at the feet of a cardboard George W. Bush.

It's scary stuff, what these people believe. One has to wonder if it's their choice of religious belief that motivates their prejudices, or if it's their prejudices that motivate their choice of religious beliefs.