Friday, March 31, 2006

Marriage - A Step Backward?

I keep on hearing arguments from gay people who are against gay marriage.

At first I thought, "Are you crazy? You have to be kidding me!"

They say, "We don't need marriage...", "We want to be different...", "We don't need government sanction..."

My answers are,

"No one NEEDS marriage. Being different isn't all that great when you have no choice but to be different. Of course we don't need government to sanction our love, but we need them to grant us equality and rights."

The more I think about this intercultural conflict the more it reminds me of the feminist movement. No matter how unequal men and women are, there will always be those comfortable with that. They are happy, and I think that's beautiful; for them.

The problem comes into play when a person's choices are limited simply based on their sex, gender, and/or sexual orientation. Even if they wanted the same thing as a man or straight couple, they can't have it. It's all about the choices that are available.

We cannot have a completely free society unless the same opportunities are available to all!

2 comments:

jim said...

It's a difficult concept for many people to grasp, even for allies of the gay community. Bette Midler was recently quoted as saying:

"Wow! I didn't know there were that many people in love! You know, I'm old-school. I'm this age, and I've been through a lot and I didn't quite get it. I understood the civil part of it, but I knew a lot of people who wanted to live alone, have serial partners. It was very hard for me to grasp, I think. It was hard to see that it was an idea whose time had come. I know a lot of gay people, but I didn't know anyone who was rushing to the altar. But when I see people who are so committed... I think human beings are bound to want that."

And I think that's the point. People have been brainwashed into thinking the gay "lifestyle" is one of multiple partners, going out drinking, and looking for the Brad Pitt-like body lying on the bed the next morning.

It's time for the brainwashing to stop; even some gay people are believing it. My guess is that most people are not going to want to spend their lives fequenting gay bars and sleeping around. I can't imagine, at my avanced age, having that kind of life. My partying days are long over!

e said...

All i know is that love is such a rare commodity in our world today...I don't think that it is right to tell someone who has managed to find it, that they are not allowed to express it and live it because of their sexual preferences. If two people love each other, they should be able to share a life together, no matter what!